Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Back on the sauce

If you have read half of one entry on this blog that I'm something of a pop-culture junkie. Movies, games, magazines, books - I eat that shit up.

So I'm always really excited in the fall, with the start of the new TV season. It's like having Christmas a few months early: what new joy awaits inside the glowing box?

Last night Fox got the party started early. I know a lot of people love it, but I don't really give a shit about Prison Break. In fact, anything involving prisons kind of freaks me out a little, and gives me nightmares about being somebody's bitch. So I tend to steer clear of such things.

I did, however, check out Vanished. My verdict: meh. It could be interesting, I suppose, but so far this falls squarely into the category of "trying too hard". It felt like they were attempting to set up way too much in that first hour - it didn't feel organic, as it does in the best examples of the serialized drama, such as Lost. The acting was generally mediocre and the transitions between scenes got on my nerves a bit.

From what I've heard about the rest of the season, they're aiming to position the show as something of a 24-DaVinci Code hybrid, a mash-up I'm still trying to gauge my enthusiasm for, especially considering how disappointed I was with the last season of 24. I'm going to give this one another couple of weeks to grab me before I give it up in favor of Monday Night Football.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home